Social Media - The New Neighborhood?

Some time ago I started getting emails from people inviting me to join their favorite social networking site. Most of the time I just hit the delete button. Then one day, after some prodding from my kids, I decided to join one just to see what all the fuss was about.

You know those movies where the magician waves his hand, there's a pop and a puff of smoke, and something that wasn't there suddenly is? Well it wasn't quite like that... but close. Today I find myself "updating my status" and leaving comments on Face Book several times a day. I'm tweeting and following tweets, blogging, instant messaging, and having more interactions with a greater number of people than ever before.

This week I've instant messaged with a couple of friends across the country that I hadn't talked to for years, used Skype to talk with another friend working in eastern Europe (complete with video), and discovered a close family relative on Face Book who I didn't even know existed. That's just this week. So what's going on here? Is this just some crazy fade I've fallen into? Check out this YouTube presentation from the folks at Socialnomics.



It seems to me that the concept of "neighborhood" may be changing. In my grandparents day they would walk down the street to the corner market, pausing and talking with a half dozen neighbors along the way. They'd stop in to check on Mrs. Smith who'd been ill and they'd wave as they passed Mr. Jones mowing his yard. Just that quick drop-in or smile and wave said volumes about those relationships. They were friends - more than just acquaintances. They were neighbors!
In many ways that's what this new network of connections feels like to me. When someone pushes the "like" button on my status or leaves a comment on one of my postings it feels like a high five from a friend... like that wave to a neighbor that means 'I might be over later to borrow your lawn mower.'

If this social media is in fact a new 'neighborhood' culture I have to say that I like living here... a lot! The ability to open my smart phone and check to see what my friends are up to at any time is pretty cool. I can read their comments and respond with my own 24/7/365. It's a feeling of continual connectedness - of authentic and, maybe more importantly, ongoing community.

So what are the implications of this new type of connectedness? In my world I'm wondering what opportunities and what challenges this presents for organizational leaders and for the church? How does it impact the way we mentor and coach and teach? Does it change the way we think about groups, classes, community, or even our scope of influence? How might outreach and marketing be different and what impact does this new neighborhood have on ministry? Those are just a few of the many questions I'm processing.

Now I'm wondering what my new "neighbors" think about all this! Because my lawn mower really is broken again. 

5 comments:

  1. My mower is broken too, sorry.
    Regarding the social neighborhood. I have found college roomies, old friends, even a close friend that was in my wedding who I had completely lost for 25 years. Now we hang out together again in person. I talk to relatives daily that live too far off the beaten path to visit. I've been blessed to see old high school friends share how they have come to faith and am encouraged by posts that lift my own faith. It's been wonderful. Plus I get to read your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Although, as with anything, there are some boundaries to respect. I feel Facebook and other "neighborhoods" are great ways to communicate and keep in touch with others. One posible negative is the lack of face-to-face communication. Let me explain that- If people start leaning on posting to a friend, emailing an accountability partner, or just posting thoughts as an outlet, they may lose an important componant of human interaction. That face-to-face communication and non-verbal communication involved with it is essential for friends to decifer feelings and "true" communication. As with ATM's and Self-checkout lanes at Walmart- we have to resist becoming an indoor-only, let me do it without human interaction- society.

    That's not to say that these new "neighborhoods" don't open up countless positives as well. We have the ability to inspire, entertain, communicate, colaborate, and more with hundreds of "friends" (or tweet followers) from a cell phone or computer. That vastness of reachability is amazing. We have an ability to verbally witness to people who may never hear the word Jesus or God in their daily lives- but will read your posts or tweets if you include those thoughts in your statements.

    As the old saying goes- "With great power comes great(er) responsibility.

    Keep up the good work Pastor Graves. You're ability to reach, inspire, challenge, and lead people is amazing.


    (Anonymous from the congregation of NorthBridge)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I agree about the face-to-face concern. That's probably the part the worries me the most. All the non-verbal cues we miss. We don't want to replace that. If the interaction through social media can extend and build or rebuild a bridge to a relationship that then facilitates the in-person contact then we've got something. Good feedback. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timely insights and fascinating video. I was struck with the statistics regarding word of mouth advertizing vs. media advertizing. Without question, word of mouth is light years ahead of anything else and with people so connected the "word of mouth" stuff gets around instantly. Lots of things there for the church to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have seen this video Mike but watched it again and put a link on Twitter. Enjoyed our time together today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will read it as quickly as I can.